Monday 14 November 2016

UNIUYO NEWS: Student Union Senate To Embark On Constituency Projects - Senate President

UNIUYO NEWS: Student Union Senate To Embark On Constituency Projects - Senate Senate President

14/11/2016

By Aluzu Ebikebuna Augustine

Mbetobong Udoh


The Senate President of the Student Union, Mbetobong Udoh made this known during a media chat with REVOLUTIONARY YOUTHS on Friday, 11 November 2016.

The Rt. Hon. Member, representing Faculty of Environmental Science in the second inaugurated Senate spoke of his incursion into politics within the University, insisting it was a call to serve.

He said "I was not interested in anything politics because of the strong religious background I come from. However, my view started changing in my second semester year one. At that time, someone aspired to be the SUG President in my Faculty and another aspired to be the Sec. Gen but lost to Kenneth Anyang of Law.

"Though I was not actively involved, but I saw the need to lend my voice into politic

"I saw politics as going beyond occupying offices but as a call for service, I saw it as a selfless action for the good of that little world you belong" he added.

The speaker said he is combining academics and politics effortlessly and sheer determination is what is responsible for his good grades. "I have made up my mind since inception to make good academic standing, I can remember once when my lecturer asked me what I came to school to do, is it politics or learning, I told him that I came for both, I have been balancing these two things squarely and I am not found wanting."

Speaking, the Speaker hurled rays on the relationship between the Legislature and the Executive. He prayed for good working relationship between the two and insisted that the Legislature is not an inferior arm to the Executive.

He however, acknowledge that lack of synergy between the two arms can cause fracas. "Legislature is supposed to be a watchdog over Executive excesses. This will not always bring fracas where there is a synergy between the two arms. How do you achieve this? You make sure there is information channels where either arms is not taken unaware in terms of policies and goals" he said



He insisted that the Legislative arm of Government will embark on Constituency projects under his leadership and for the first time,the senate will embark on constituency briefing via information vox pop.

"This will give the students the opportunity to air their views for the senators to work on. It will make every student to have that sense of belonging to the Student Union

"It is our Union" he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment